Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Summer Sewing: Vintage 1950s Beach Shorts

All photographs are self portraits taken by myself using a tripod.
Styling:  Esther Boller

Last summer was a very productive time of sewing, photography, and playing around creating.  In fact it was was a little too productive. I'm just now finding the time to edit some of the photos/projects from last summer (40 gigabytes of photos and I vow never again to let it get that bad stocked up again.  Maybe).

I started making these shorts that I'm wearing years ago.  Probably sometime in high school, but I just finished sewing them last summer.  That's the thing with textile creatives - we always have 10 projects going on at once!

I'm currently working a part-time job at a yarn/fabric shop in NYC called Purl Soho and it's heaven for the textile lover!  If you're in NYC stop by and say hi.  They also have a great project blog called The Purl Bee.  Anyway, the most common conversation that I have with other makers is about how we always have a bazillion projects going on at once.   It's just so easy to get excited about a new project and leave the old one behind for a while.  That is, until I realize that I have 10 left-behind projects that need finished.  I find this especially easy to do with knitting.

Well these shorts were one of the 15 projects that took a little longer to finish.  But I finished them just in time for when I went on vacation in Michigan last June.  They were perfect for the beach, and so comfortable.  I made them from a vintage Annie Adams pattern and I've been making new variation of these same shorts for years.  The fit is just so comfy.

I always get in a 1950s inspiration kick whenever I know I'm going to the beach.  So naturally the styling and editing of the photos were done to reflect that era.  

Head Scarf, sunglasses, tank top, and belt:  Thrifted,  Necklace:  Red Clover Boutique,  Shorts:  Handmade by me

Also, Leon Bridges has been the soundtrack to my life so far this summer.  Check out his tunes if you haven't already!


Xx
Esther 

6 comments:

  1. Love the shorts!
    So cool that you work at Purl Soho :D too bad I live on the other side of the ocean :p
    Also, I'm sorry to have heard about your cat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with these shorts. The fabric you have used is amazing - is it suede?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This outfit is amazing, I want to visit Purl Soho even more now, and my husband and I are also on a major Leon Bridges kick this summer. Thumbs up all around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love these shorts. Could you post exactly which Anne Adams pattern it is? Maybe I'll luck out on Ebay or Etsy and actually find it. Thanks. Ev

    ReplyDelete